Saturday, February 11, 2006

Here a QUAQE, there a QUAQE...

Went out this evening to The Merchant for a social gathering organized by the Queens University Association of Queer Employees. Now as I often do, I expected the night to be a wright off. Instead I found it quite enjoyable. It started off a bit slow, all people I did not know. Then Pat and Deb arrived, suddenly I knew someone. Then Meghan and Claire arrived and I felt even better. The small room we were in was full and the remaining table was just outside that room so that is where Meghan and Claire headed and as I didn't want them to be sitting by themselves I went out and sat with them. Dan however was trapped in the corner by drunken lesbians. I had a most enjoyable conversation with the girls. I have this thing where I feel kinda out of place with all the Queens people since I am not educated beyond High School and some college level stuff. I'm not sure if it is intentional on their part or not but I never feel stupid or uneducated around them. I have in the past with other people so either there is a difference or perhaps I have changed.
The three of us joined the rest of the group after it had thinned out a bit and for a group of Queens Employees the conversation was thankfully not overly work related. Seemed to be some half decent people there. Only two awkward moments for me. One was when a woman that I met once stopped to say hello and just kinda stood there like I should say more. I really would have introduced her if I actually remembered her name. Now that I think of it I think she told me her name was Pam. Oh well, let's just pretend I was drinking...
The other awkward moment was, as it always is, when I was asked about my work. I do describe my work as something that could be done by trained monkeys. It is however what I do and it does pay my bills and I guess maybe I just think it might be a bit rude when someone asks if it is just till I find something else, something more meaningful I guess was the idea. Sometimes I find it disturbing that people define themselves by their work. Although I know it would be nice to be doing something I like more as a living I prefer to leave my work out on Highway 15. If I had my choice of jobs it would still be the same. I will never be the one who wants to run the company. I want to leave work and come home to my boyfriend, my dogs, my friends. I want to spend my time away from work with them and not thinking about the budget or anything else involving work. Maybe I should be more ambitious but at this point in time I am not. Just a different philosophy I guess.

Ponder that...

No comments: