Monday, April 25, 2011

An Amendment or a Softening

I have had two friends comment on my Driving Myself Crazy post. My one friend who probably knows everything current in my life messaged me worried about how I was doing; the other friend thought I was sad.

Maybe I can change the tone of the post by changing one word. I used the term heartbreak perhaps rather lightly. I don’t like the idea of taking my words back and I have never gone back and edited a post for anything more than missed spelling or grammar. I will not go back and actually change the post but how about you read it again and replace heartbreak with disappointment.

Additionally, my friend Kea left a comment and I would like to respond to the following part of it.

“I'd be looking a little deeper at this, at why you entangle yourself emotionally with those who are unavailable or who are not suited for you, long term.”

I go for young men because they are not jaded by years of... Life. That and they are so damn cute. Trust me, if I could find a good looking, trim, active, man in his 40’s who can be cuddly without being clingy and can stay up past 9:00 PM I’d be all over him.

So to wind this down, I am not heartbroken, I am not sad. I have been disappointed in the past and I will be again in the future but it’s all part of the journey.

1 comment:

Kea said...

I had to laugh at the "stay up past 9:00PM" bit, since I can't. :-D

Jaded by years of life is interesting, though, and quite valid. I can see why someone who still is young enough to have illusions and a certain innocence could be appealing on one level.

But I don't think we have to lose the wonder-ment of life as we age. I'm terribly cynical when it comes to humans and human relationships, sometimes feel very weighted down by loss and suffering--mine and others. Yet I still can look at a budding flower or tree, at new shoots of grass--at Nature--with a sense of wonder and awe, still can get excited about the seemingly small things.

So I suppose it depends on what aspect(s) of life you refer to when you say "jaded."

How about a realistic attitude instead of a jaded one? An attitude that isn't youthful illusion yet isn't one of bitterness? That would be a good balance. :-)